Reporting to the Office of Integrated Content in the Division of Communications, the Marketing Specialist will work closely with other offices in the Division and other university offices to develop compelling, well-branded and effective student recruitment communications and other marketing content in print and digital formats. The ideal candidate will develop message strategy and content based on an understanding of the target audience for each project.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Work in collaboration with colleges, departments, programs and units to develop high-quality brochures, fact sheets, postcards and general marketing materials to support student recruitment efforts. Write all copy and work closely with design team on production.
Generate ideas and build rich content for campaign landing pages and academic program websites identified as strategic priorities. Write for SEO optimization, including all metadata.
Develop and coordinate marketing plans for colleges, departments, programs and units, as requested.
Identify marketing opportunities that lead to increased student enrollment and overall university image enhancement.
Be aware of market trends and opportunities to develop new content ideas.
Assist in implementation of strategies and tactics for general university marketing and advertising initiatives.
Help manage the university brand, ensuring that all marketing materials are brand compliant.
Use analytics to develop and adjust communications and marketing initiatives. Includes working closely with external marketing partner; using Google Analytics for web analysis; and using Brightedge for SEO.
Ensure accuracy of all content through editing/proofreading.
Support admissions marketing initiatives, as requested.
Help coordinate and execute community and other outreach efforts and events, such as Eagle Discount Program, Homecoming Block Party, and TRUEMU Nights/events (Detroit Tigers, etc.).
A bachelor's degree in marketing, communications, public relations or related field is required.
Minimum of two to three years of professional experience in a marketing-specific role is required.
Demonstrated experience producing high-quality, well-branded, integrated and effective marketing materials, including promotional brochures, flyers and landing pages is required.
Working knowledge of Photoshop, InDesign and content management systems is preferred.
Excellent and demonstrable writing, proofreading, presentation and event management skills is required.
Solid understanding of analytics and measurement is preferred.
Must be highly proactive and self motivated, team oriented, creative and resourceful.
Ability to write, edit and produce content in all formats quickly and accurately in a fast-paced environment.
Proven experience working successfully with cross-functional teams.
Higher education experience is a plus.
Professional portfolio reflecting experience detailed above is required.
ECLS: PE GRADE: 08
A bachelor's degree in marketing, communications, public relations or related field
A minimum of two to three years of professional experience in a marketing-specific role
Demonstrated experience producing high-quality, well-branded, integrated and effective marketing materials, including promotional brochures, flyers and landing pages
Excellent and demonstrated experience producing high-quality, well-branded, integrated and effective marketing materials, including promotional brochures, flyers and landing pages
A professional portfolio reflecting experience detailed above
Internal Number: 1917
About Eastern Michigan University
Why Eastern Michigan is a Great Place to Work
There are numerous reasons why Eastern Michigan University is a premier employer to work for. We make a difference in the lives of our 22,000 students, 2400 employees and the growing community in Ypsilanti and Washtenaw County.
What have our employees told us they like about working for Eastern Michigan University?
• Outstanding work culture founded on Excellence, Respect, Inclusiveness, Responsibility and Integrity
• Excellent work/life balance, vacation and holiday time
• Opportunities for growth and development through tuition waiver program, online trainings and in person workshops
• Excellent benefit options including the choice of PPO, HMO, HSA, life insurance, and pet insurance
• Retirement plan with a very competitive employer contribution and match
• Fitness center, pharmacy and daycare on site and very reasonably priced!
• Employees rave about the relationships they form with colleagues
• Great, supportive supervisors
Here are details of some of our employees’ favorite employee benefits:
Tuition Waiver Program
• You're eligible to use the tuition waiver benefit for any undergraduate, graduate or doctoral leve...l courses at Eastern. Tuition waiver applies to tuition only and not fees and is based upon successful completion of classes. Full-time employees can waive up to six credit hours for fall and winter semesters and twelve for summer. If you're part-time, waive up to three credit hours for fall and winter and six for summer!
• Spouses and Dependents
o Your spouse and/or dependents can use the tuition waiver beginning the first semester after your hire date. 50% of all undergraduate courses can be waived (tuition cost only), based on successful completion of classes!
Retirement Savings Plan
• We want you to enjoy your retirement. Planning ahead is a good place to start.
o TIAA-CREF is for all employees of Eastern.
• How Healthy Are You, Financially?
o Keeping fiscally fit is more important than ever before. TIAA offers a personal financial organizer which includes financial wellness tips, tools and checklists to help you organize your finances and plan for your future. Get yourself a financial checkup and download your personal financial organizer [PDF].
o In addition, TIAA-CREF comes to campus twice a month for individual counseling sessions to help you with your account. To make an appointment, visit the TIAA schedule site or call 800.732.8353.
• Whether it's getting help to quit smoking, change your eating habits or taking your physical fitness to the next level, Eastern cares about your wellness and work-life balance. Lifeworks, our employee assistance program, is available 24/7 to provide articles, information and counseling on topics like money, health and personal issues. As an employee, you can also take advantage of our discount membership program at our on-campus fitness center. We have a state-of-the-art nutrition center complete with a registered dietitian. And, if you're a smoker and ready to quit, we have a host of tobacco cessation resources available.
• We have offerings across campus for wellness related activities, lunch and learn sessions, cooking classes, motivational speakers, and more.
• To register for any of our wellness events, visit our events registration page.
• For an overview of our events, download the current wellness calendar [PDF].
Great Things are happening at Eastern Michigan University! Here are some of the highlights:
• Number one ranked Student Center in the nation
• The University ranked as one of the Best in the Midwest by the Princeton Review for the 16th consecutive year
• The College of Business is ranked among the nation’s best for the 14th year in a row
• Our Clinical Research Administration graduate program is ranked number one in the nation
• The online Master’s in Human Nutrition is ranked number one in the nation
• Our online B.S. in Dietetics is in the top five programs in the country
• Music therapy is ranked in the nation’s top 10
• Our Ph.D. in clinical psychology is ranked among the very best
• We’re a Center of Academic Excellence for information assurance
• Our Teacher Education Programs is recognized for national excellence
• We rank in the top 25 nationally for our support to students on the autism spectrum
• We are a consistent leader in the state in terms of being military and LGBT friendly